Baqai Institute of Diabetology & Endocrinology (BIDE) came into existence in the
year 1996. It started as a single room diabetic clinic but with the untiring efforts
of Prof Abdul Basit, it gradually developed into a tertiary care centre. It is now
providing comprehensive services under one roof.
1- Out-Patient Department
Out-Patient Department functions with an innovative concept of collaborative services;
where consultation and advice by the consultant diabetologist, the nutritionist,
and the diabetes educator coupled with prompt laboratory support services has made
the management plan of a single visit, increasingly convenient and compliant. The
concept of a "Diabetes Care Team" has proved very successful.
2- Department Of Dietetics & Education
- The dieticians tailor individualized diet plans.
- The educators comprehensively educate people with diabetes on self-care and management.
- 24 hour telephonic advisory service
- The department organizes "Public Awareness Programmes" and annual "Diabetes Awareness
Walks" with a purpose of public education and awareness.
- Two members of the department attended “International Diabetes Federation (IDF)
Leadership Workshop for Health Educators” in Bangladesh from 5th to 8th December
- One of the diabetes educators has completed three months “Certified Diabetes Educator
Course” from King Abdul Aziz University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
3- Foot Clinic - PWGDF (PAKISTAN WORKING GROUP ON THE DIABETIC FOOT)
First of its kind in Pakistan
- Working since 1996
- Comprehensive foot-care provided to the patients by a multidisciplinary team
- Domiciliary podiatry services available at nominal rates
- To extend foot care services to all parts of the country Pakistan Working Group
on Diabetic Foot was founded during International Diabetes Conference organized
by Baqai Institute of Diabetology & Endocrinology (BIDE)
- Its inaugural meeting was attended by the leading international experts and national
- Prof. Abdul Basit was elected as its first Chairman.
4- Peripheral Diabetes Centers
The project of Peripheral Diabetes Centers was started by establishing the first
PDC at Fahmi Health-Care Center in Gulberg, Karachi.
- Eight centers in, different areas of Karachi have so far been established
- The centers are run by the doctors trained for one year Diploma in Diabetology.
- A special software has been designed to incorporate all the relevant data from these
centers into a single centralized pool.
5- Inpatient Department
Baqai Institute of Diabetology & Endocrinology (BIDE)has 25 bedded inpatient service
with High Dependency Unit for people with Diabetes requires emergency treatment,
intensive monitoring and in-house management.
6- Research Centre
Medical research department -1999
- Affiliated with Nottingham University and Prof. Abdul Basit is an honorary research
associate of this university.
- Gold Medal by Pakistan Academy of Medical Sciences (PAMS)
- First prize amongst the sixty speakers from all over the world- (ISDF) 2007 Amsterdam.
- Research Department provides opportunities to Faculty Members and students to initiate
and take part in ongoing Research projects.
From 2007 -2009
ONGOING STUDIES 2008-2009
No. of Publications
Studies of MPhil students
Studies of PhD students
Studies of MD students
Studies in write-up phase
Studies in analysis phase
Studies in active phase
Sent for publication
International research commitments are the Studies on; Primary prevention of diabetes
in collaboration with University of Oslo (UIO) Genetic studies in collaboration
with University of (Birmingham), UK.